Saturday, January 27, 2018

Perfect Match news

Hello,

The last part of A Perfect Match, Every Time is nearing completion and will most likely be posted tomorrow. It looks like there is also going to be a chapter 13, which I will post at the same time as chapter 12.

I thought that I might share a little on the genesis of this story. I'm always curious about how a writer comes up with their ideas. Maybe that is because I am a writer. Maybe to everyone else it is terribly boring. On the off chance that you are the kind of person who likes to know, here goes.

My original plan for the story started similar to what I ended up with, except that Helen doesn't pick a rich doctor, she picks a man who works construction and is a bit rough around the edges. She becomes the kind of woman who likes to hang out in taverns, shoot pool and drink beer. Cassidy flips out and starts quoting bible verses to her mom. Helen makes a match for Cassidy with a guy like Quinn.

Cassidy falls for Quinn and no longer has a problem with her mom's boyfriend, but now she has no problem getting even with her mom. She visits Olga and makes a pick for her mom that makes the current boyfriend seem like a saint. The story would've go back and forth, each time mother and daughter made matches for each other they'd become more skanky in looks and attitude.

I liked the idea, but I was busy revising the story for TGComics.com so I didn't have any intention of writing it any time soon. Then I saw the movie, "The Killing of the Sacred Deer". There is a particular scene that stuck with me. The next day I realized that I wanted Cassidy to make her first pick not for her mother, but for herself and it would be made out of spite and anger. Helen's first pick for Cassidy would be made with good, albeit selfish, intentions. The flood gates of ideas opened and I sat down and started writing. 15 days later I was done with the first draft.

For anyone who wishes I would have written  my original story, I still want to write it someday.


5 comments:

  1. While your initial idea is nice, I definitely think I prefer how it turned out. Loving it and can't wait to see how it finishes up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear. I'll definitely be able to get chapter 12 up tonight. 13 might have to wait until tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. It looks like Chapter 12 and 13 will go up tomorrow. They are very close to being ready, but I ran out of time tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This story is just gold, I love it so much, thank you for your work x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. Thank you for taking the time to let me know. Knowing that you enjoyed my story helps motivates me to write the next one. Not sure what that is yet.

      Delete