Wednesday, August 19, 2015

10 rules for writing first drafts

I found the following image by Demian Farnworth on the iFunny app.



1. Barricade the door. It must be just you, the ink, and the paper.
   I find it best to write in a journal. I've tried writing directly into the computer, but I write much slower that way. I find it ironic that I write faster when I, in effect, write every word twice.

2. Work in a physical and mental condition that makes you want to write. Get there by any means possible.
   Varian says: don't do drugs, kids.

3.  Write yourself silly.

4. Allow your imagination to go to weird places. Nothing is off limits. You can clean up your mess later.
   I wish I was better at this. I've heard the first draft referred to as "The Vomit Draft". The point is to get everything out and worry about editing later. I still have the tendency to limit myself during the first draft. I still fear writing crap. It is hard to convince the inner me that my writing will be better the less I worry about crappy writing during the first draft stage.

5. Break every writing rule known to man.
   I'll probably need to learn the rules first.

6. It's okay if it reads like a letter from a lunatic.

7. Steal stylistically from other, as all great writers do.

8. Keep your bottom in your chair until you are done.
   Much easier to do with short stories.

9. Once you've finished a first draft, leave it alone for days - if not weeks.
   Or even months

10. Celebrate.
  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment